KSP - Recreating the Space Industry

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
KSP - Recreating the Space Industry

This forum is for the KSP Emulating Real Life challenge, previously held on the KSP forums. This location enables the challenge to expand beyond just one thread.

2 posters

RTSI's rules...

Blacksilver
    Blacksilver

RTSI's rules... Empty RTSI's rules...

Post by Blacksilver Thu 13 Jul 2017, 19:07

Rules specific to the project.

LAUNCH PROVIDERS > ROCKETS

1. Realistic rockets: No 8-core-monstrosities-with-the-payload-in-the-middle.
    2. Follow the height and diameter rules.
    3. For realism, rocket development will occur in several controlled stages. First, the launch providers will develop a first iteration rocket, which cannot not exceed 20 meters in height (including a fairing) and 1.25m in width (excluding fins, fairings, legs, etc), and can only have one core (no 3x6.25m rockets or anything). This rocket will be your base rocket. The rocket can be developed into several iterations, but a completely new rocket cannot be unveiled until a certain time limit (3 kerbal months) is passed. As time goes on, this time will decrease as LPs get more experience. This is to ensure natural progression.
    4. First-iteration rockets must not land stages with rocket engines like F9; parachute recovery is allowed.
    5. SSTOs cannot carry payloads, only crew
    6. No part clipping.
    7. Exception to rule 4: you may clip fuel tanks or other parts inside structural parts.
    8. Crewed rockets must be able to survive dangit failure of one engine.
    9. Launch vehicles' probe cores must have reaction wheels disabled.

LAUNCH PROVIDERS > FUNDS

1. Each LP gets a set budget when it is founded. Funds are earned by launching missions for Payload Providers. Naturally, launches only generate profit if the total cost of the rocket is less than what the PP is paying.
    2. Each LP must list a selling price for each of its rockets. Obviously, it helps if the selling price is more than the cost of a rocket, since that’s the only way to make money and prevent bankruptcy.  
    3. The profit from a satellite launch is added to the LP’s budget. e.g., if the budget before launch is 100,000; the cost of one rocket is 40,000; and the cost of one launch is 60,000; the profit is 20,000. This gets added onto the LP’s budget before the launch, which was 100,000 in this case. That means that the new budget is 120,000. Pretty basic maths.
    4. If rockets are reusable, the cost of the reused part can be subtracted from the rocket cost when calculating profit per launch. However, LPs will have to add back on the cost of fuel for the reused part, plus 0.2 (subject to change) times the cost of the reusable part, to simulate recovery and refurbishment operations. If an attempted recovery fails (for example a first stage that explodes upon landing), the cost of the reusable part cannot be subtracted from the rocket’s cost when calculating profit.
    5. Development costs of a rocket is 5x the cost of the rocket. This means that the cost of the first launch will 6x the cost of the rocket.
    6. Should an LP run out of funds, it can either declare itself bankrupt, and withdraw from launch services for a set amount of time, or request a funds injection from another LP. If the request is granted, the specified amount of funds will be given to the bankrupt LP, and the LP giving the money will have the specified amount deducted from their total funds.
    7. Launch failures will have consequences. If the rocket and the payload are destroyed (due to a DangIt failure, etc) then the LP will lose twice the cost of the rocket, along with 1.5x that of the satellite. If the rocket is destroyed but the satellite is recovered intact, the LP will lose 1.5x the cost of the rocket, along with 1.2x the payload cost (for repairing costs).
    8. If a launch failure occurs, that rocket cannot be launched for a set amount of time (10x the KCT build time of the rocket.).
    9. If a launch failure was avoidable, the rocket must be modified to prevent such a failure in the future.
    10. Should a Payload Provider (PP) decide to change to a different LP for whatever reason (for example if a launch failure results in the grounding of a rocket), then the original LP loses 0.3x the cost of the rocket, for refitting the rocket for a new payload.
    11. Each Kerbal month, money will be deducted from an LP’s budget (2% of the company's budget). This is to simulate taxes, operating costs, etc.

LAUNCH PROVIDERS > MISC

1. LPs are required to calculate success percentages for each of their lifters. This, along with launch cost and other details, will be displayed in the OP, so payload providers can choose who they want to launch with. I will give you the info, and you work it out and give the numbers back to me, for me to display in the OP.

PAYLOAD PROVIDERS > SATTELITES

1. For government satellite lease, satellite must meet the USEFUL SATELLITE definition. See below.
    2. Satellites not having enough Delta-V in orbit is your problem, not the LP's.
    3. If payload needs to be launched during a certain window, what is the window? Dates in Kerbal Universal Time.
    4. Payloads may have reaction wheels.
    5. When submitting a satellite, a PP must answer the following questions:
      (a) Name of payload?
      (b) Type of payload?
      (c) Payload price?
      (d) Payload mass, part count, dimensions?
      (e) Intended orbit? (Ap, Pe, inclination)
      (f) Short description of the payload?
      (g) Launch provider chosen?
      (h) Which rocket of said LP?
      (i) Deadline? (Optional)
      (j) Link to craft?

DEFINITION OF A "USEFUL SATELLITE"

A useful satellite must have:

• Two (2) High-gain antennas, one of which must be a relay;
    • Two (2) low-gain antennas;
    • A problem core
    • Electric charge - not having any generation is allowed (Not a recommended tactic)

Last edited by Blacksilver on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 00:03; edited 5 times in total
    rocketsdon'tmakegoodtoast

RTSI's rules... Empty Re: RTSI's rules...

Post by rocketsdon'tmakegoodtoast Sun 16 Jul 2017, 03:01

so reaction wheels are allowed?

Post by rocketsdon'tmakegoodtoast Sun 16 Jul 2017, 16:06

What about sending up a satellite to crash it for seismic readings? If it's realistic then you could and it wouldn't need electric charge once it's on a collision course with that certain planet/moon.

Post by rocketsdon'tmakegoodtoast Sun 16 Jul 2017, 16:15

[*]SSTOs for crew only
    does that mean normal staging rockets can also do crew, just that ssto's are only available to crewed missions?

Post by rocketsdon'tmakegoodtoast Sun 16 Jul 2017, 17:32

so when is all this going to unfold and start operating?
    Blacksilver
    Blacksilver

Post by Blacksilver Tue 18 Jul 2017, 23:44

I'm working on transcripting all the rules from the old thread over here, okay?

Post by rocketsdon'tmakegoodtoast Fri 21 Jul 2017, 01:44

Blacksilver wrote:I'm working on transcripting all the rules from the old thread over here, okay?

okay, just let me know if any rule has changed or anything. I have a rocket that uses reaction wheels, need to know if those are allowed or not so I can make sure it's within the rules.
    Blacksilver
    Blacksilver

Post by Blacksilver Sat 22 Jul 2017, 14:47

rocketsdon'tmakegoodtoast wrote:
    okay, just let me know if any rule has changed or anything. I have a rocket that uses reaction wheels, need to know if those are allowed or not so I can make sure it's within the rules.

Done (I think) - No Major changes.

Post by rocketsdon'tmakegoodtoast Sat 29 Jul 2017, 00:13

Done (I think) - No Major changes.[/quote]

so does the reaction wheel rule apply for reaction wheel parts, not just probe cores?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content